Monday, March 30, 2020

My Great Grandma Byrdie

My Great Grandma Brydie L. Jones Parks also known as Grandma Bird was born on March 21, 1919 in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Grandma Bird lived in Reidville, South Carolina. She had three sister and she was the oldest out the three. She is the mother of my Papa. She had three kids. All with separate fathers. She was a hard working lady. She was borning during the Great Depression.
This was the only photo I could use because the other ones are stored up in the Storage room at my
Grandparents hosue.
Grandma Bird had 3 different jobs she worked back then. One job was being a nanny and a governess for two prominent families. Her second job a nurse's aide. Her last job was a midwife. Which was in the Great Depression. As almost all black children in the 1920's and 30's, she did farm labor on her father's 45- plus acre farm.

Three interesting things about Grandma Bird is one she never had the ability to meet a stranger meaning she always knew everybody was because she wasa social butterfly. She would always give her last to anyone because she was that caring. Second interesting thing about her is how much she loved her siblings and family. She would die for them and do so much for them. Even at the age of 80 when she had very very bad arthritis she would walk to story for her neigbors who could not walk.
She always stressed "that its not what you have its what you do with what you have because you can do alot with a little." Which I thought was so cool of her. The last interesting thing about her was her Christianity. She was very strong on Chrisitianity she would make sure all her kids go to church and obey God's word. Which reminds me of my Papa's wife my grandma. She just like Grandma Bird.

Grandma Bird died in April 3, 2002, in Spartanburg, South Carolina, at the age of 83. She was burried in Reidville. The church cementary she was buried in was Travelers Rest Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery.

 Byrdie L. J. Parks
This is the Tombstone of my Great Grandma Byride
This was all the information that I find out about my Great Grandma Byride. I choose to do her because the only time I ever saw her was when I was a baby and I do not really remember all that since I was like 2 years old. She also holds a special place in my heart because I was her dying birthday wish because her birthday was March 21 and my birthday was March 23 and she got to hold me one last time before she passed. Thats why I choose her.  I learned so much about her and I am glad to have done reserch about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment